Cut order when importing an SVG file

I created some shapes in QCAD. (Irrelevant probably)
I convert it to SVG. (I could have exported native cad drawing.)
I cut that drawing, and the order of the cuts was fairly surprising.

How does the WAM software decide the order of cuts? Does it use the draw order from the SVG? Does it just run the SVG top to bottom? If I were to reorder things, does it respect that?

Is there a simple way to mass organize the cuts?

Sooo many questions.

More questions!
I note that the circle doesnā€™t show up, but poly-lines will.

SVG code
<g transform="scale(1,-1)"> <!-- Circle --> <circle cx="1" cy="1" r="1" style="stroke:#000000;stroke-width:0.0098;"/> </g>

We have noticed they will cut in the order you place them on the bed.

Hello @spdkils, and welcome to the Forum! Thank you for joining :smiley:

These are all great questions! Let me start from the beginning -
The shapes in QCAD do matter! As you noticed in your second post,

This is correct. WAM cannot interpret raster images (or pixels). However, WAM does understand poly-lines (or nodes along a path). This is likely why the pixel circle does not show up, but a poly-line circle will.

Exporting as SVG or DXF is acceptable - WAM accepts both file types as long as the features within the files are poly-lines. When using QCAD, I find that exporting as a DXF file is the easiest option. Make sure the DXF version is R27 [2013].

Fairly surprising cut order - WAM will prioritize any inner features that are surrounded by an exterior edge first. If there are multiple features within a closed loop, WAM cannot prioritize one over the other so it may cut internal features inside the same loop randomly.

Simple way to mass organize the cuts - I am not quire sure what you mean, but there is a select all button in WAM that may help move everything an once or assign the same property to all imported files. (See the red rectangle above)

Fun fact - WAM cannot determine where to start along a feature unless a tab is placed along the path. WAM will begin cutting a path at a tab, otherwise the starting place along a path is random.

Hey thanks for the response. I used DXF today, I went between various versions, and Iā€™m glad you outline the exact version to use. (I guess newer isnā€™t always better.)

I had a pretty specific cut order requirement to make a particular piece, and had the software allowed/respected any of my settings that would have made my life easy.

I was also wondering what that button didā€¦ For meā€¦ nothing, since I laid out all my cuts specifically in the CAD and Iā€™ve only got 1 file, not different pieces. :frowning:

How often is the software updated? Respecting cuts based on draw order, as a toggleā€¦ Iā€™ll pay 40 quatloo (Nerd Check) to get that added.

I really really really donā€™t want to do anything custom or hack it to have it respect my cut orders.

Is there any other option? (I can generate GCode a dozen ways with other software, but that isnā€™t really supported probably.)

I am glad the information was helpful! Just curious - what is the cut order required for your particular piece? If you would like, please outline it for me and I will try my best to either deliver a workaround or a create a custom cut file. I can support you here or through our supporting tickets at Support ā€” WAZER | The First Desktop Waterjet. :smiley:

Iā€™ve always viewed the top right button as a ā€œSelect Allā€ function. If you have multiple files or duplicates, it can come in handy. As for updates to WAM, we are actively looking to upgrade and make the service better. I will share your feedback for a cut order system with the development team.

I cannot recommend a workaround for WAM. Gcode generation outside of WAM can run in unexpected and/or dangerous ways. Doing so will void warranty and support for the WAZER. Let me know what you are looking for, and I can take an in-depth look to make sure everything runs safely and achieves what you are looking for!

The idea was to have a rectangle. Cut wavy lines in a ā€œsaneā€ fashion. Alternating the cut direction (left/right) to minimize wasted movements. (Another challenge)

Then after all the lines are cut, the final cut was to sever the connection to the anchor medium with one long cut down the right, and then moving over and doing one long cut on the left.

A pause would be nice, so an operator would have to actually watch the sever cuts.

But with the order being so chaotic. (Because I donā€™t known the algo) It just cut out the sides randomly, and so it would create an island, making it a challenge to fixture.

Iā€™m now going to try and trick the mechanism.

Iā€™m thinking if I just have it do two pierce shots, that may be enough to have the 1st two movements that the algo is picking up, and then MAYBE MAYBE it will respect the draw order I have. (Since it will have satisfied the top of the algo)

But here I am trying to trick it already, when if I just could set cut orders, AND direction in software.

Qcad lets me apply and order really easy (MO)

I couldnā€™t trick it so easily.

I realize the goal is to keep this as ā€œsimpleā€ as possible for all users, and I commend you on your companies excellent progress/product thus far.

Right now, Iā€™m just moving my cuts into 2 files, and just running them back to back to FORCE it to cut in the order I want, how I want.

So that is my ā€œout of the boxā€ I never touch the GCODE staying in the ā€˜green zoneā€™ but getting what I want.

Thanks for sharing the file images. I see what you are trying to achieve now, and it is certainly tricky to manipulate when working through WAM.

One way to possibly trick the file would be to de-attach all interior lines from the left and right anchors but only de-attach them by 0.001 in. Make it as minimal as possible. This way, you have lines 1 and 2 (left and right anchors) connected to the bottom and top wavy lines which creates a closed circuit (essentially a square for all purposes). Then, disconnect lines 4-22 (all interior wavy lines) from the left and right edges of the square creating free-floating interior waves.

The kerf of the water jet should be able to blast away the disconnected parts when cutting the outside edge - which will be last. If you provide me with your DXF, I can take a look into editing it and testing this workaround. Otherwise, your two cut file idea is also another easy way of separating the two functions. (1st cut file is all wavy lines, 2nd cut file is left and right edges)

I like the trick ideaā€¦ Use the kerf to do the dirty work, and trick WAM into not knowing what is up.

1 Like

Exactly! I hope this trick works for you!