Blank screen (backlight on)

Hi, I’ve just installed my new Wazer, but the screen lights up blank. I found this page but it does not really solve the problem. I attached pictures of the floats and controller. The lower float on the right sticks straight out, while the two at the top droop down maybe 30 degrees. So I think the water level (about 1/16 over the bed) is correct. I also tried holding the upper floats down. I have a Wazer 1.5, and the page says to check my controller version, but does not say how. Nothing is printed on the outside of the controller. No updates have been made to the controller or its internal card since I got the machine. All four lights come on in the controller’s left column, but none of its other lights come on. Help!

Hello @jmzwebb and Welcome to the Forum! With the pictures you have shared, I believe the water level in the tank is too high. Please drain the water in the tank to the surface of the cut bed, or 1/4 of an inch below the surface of the cut bed. It appears your left side service float switch is in the up position, and if that is the case firmware will not successfully boot-load on the controller - causing a blank screen without text. Make sure the WAZER is power cycled once the water level is set.

Let me know if lowering the water level in the tank helps resolve this issue!

Thank you! This has resolved the issue. I was able to cut a thing!

1 Like

I have the same problem, but this did not solve my problem, Please advise.

Thanks for joining the Forum and sharing!

The blank screen is most commonly caused by a high water level or a firmware issue.

The water level can affect the firmware from loading correctly to the controller. If the water level is above the surface of the cut bed, please lower it. The ideal water level is at the surface of the cut bed or 1/4 of an inch below the surface. If adjusting the water level did not resolve the issue, let’s take a look at your firmware. It could be the firmware itself or the MicroSD card itself is not seated correctly.

Once the water level is at the ideal location, please power on and check to see if firmware is loading correctly to the controller. The middle column leds 1-4 will light up like the following:

• LED 1: Solid
  • LED 2: Blinking
  • LED 3: Blinking
  • LED 4: Solid

If the leds in the middle column of the controller are not displayed like the above, please use the guide found in this link below to update the firmware and correct the issue. (Updating the Firmware & Config File — WAZER Support | The First Desktop Waterjet.)

Does updating the firmware or re-seating the MicroSD Card help to resolve the issue?

The third LED is solid and the others are blinking. (I just completed a deep cleaning of the machine and replaced the cutting bed.)

I am not familiar with that sequence of leds - are you looking at the controller straight on? Sometimes there is some bleed from the other lights.

If there is some bleeding and the 2 & 3 leds are blinking correctly but the screen is lit up without any text, the screen could be shorting a wire if its pressed too far into the metal hoop it’s seated in.

If you believe the LED sequence does not match the description above, please move forward with a firmware update to resolve the issue.

If you believe the LED sequence does match the description above, let’s loosen the UI Screen away from the metal hoop to help guarantee no wires are being shorted.

Begin by removing the screen cover bezel, you can use your finger nail or soft prying tool but please be careful not to scratch the screen. The cover will simply pull out, there is no hardware or adhesive holding it in place.

Next loosen the two bolts on the top and bottom of the UI screen.

Lift up the back of the UI board slightly to ensure that the board is not being shorted. With the UI slightly raised, try to turn on the WAZER and see if this screen issue is still present. Does the text return shortly after the screen is powered on?

To reinstall the screen bezel, put one side in first then push the cover down so that the gasket is flush with the frame.

Please let me know what you find after the firmware update or raising the UI Screen.

Ok, I took a mirror to look at the LED’s. LED 1 &4 are solid, LED 2 & 3 are blinking.

Thanks for double checking. This confirms the firmware is running correctly and narrows down the root cause to a UI Screen, Controller, or wiring.

Please follow the steps above to raise the UI board up from the metal hoop and eliminate a shorted board/wire from the list of potential root causes.

Does raising the UI Screen resolve the text issue?

I just finished pulling it up. The text did not return.

Thanks for the additional troubleshooting and sharing the results. This confirms the root cause is either the controller or the wiring between the controller and UI Board.

The UI Screen/SD Slot are on the BC1A and BC1B cables, please follow the instructions on the page below to remove these connectors from the controller.

With the BC1A and BC1B connectors removed inspect the pins for any damage or other issues. The picture below identifies the SD Slot pin on the connector and shows a poor female pin, notice that it is spread wider than the other pins. Please look for this, any wires pulled out the back of the connector, or any other damage along the BC1A and BC1B cables as it enters the crimp in the connector.

Additionally, please also check for any debris found in the connector. A light blow of compressed air will help eliminate any debris affecting the wire connection.

Please let me know what you find when looking into this issue. I recommend sharing pictures if you discover any concerns.

Sorry for the delay. The pins on both of those connectors appear to be in good condition. The controller is clean. Please advise.

If the troubleshooting done so far has not helped to resolve the issue I believe we have missed something simple or there is a greater issue at hand. For the quickest resolution, I recommend the following:

1. Phone Call - (856) 666-0458. Available Mon. - Fri. 9am to 5pm EST.
  2. Video Conference - Calendly - WAZER Customer Support

A direct phone call or a video conference with a member of the Support Team will be the quickest way to help determine next steps and a resolution.