3D cutting - The model on the cover of Gödel, Escher, Bach: an Eternal Golden Braid

Godel escher bach abmigram

I realized it’s possible to cut the model on the cover of Douglas Hofstadter’s book Gödel, Escher, Bach: an Eternal Golden Braid, so I decice to give it a try.

In WAM, I see WAZER can cut through 12.5mm 6061 Aluminum, so I ordered some “bricks”, the thickness is 12.5mm. First we get letter B.

I didn’t expected that I can resure the cutout as a fixture for letter E, it just fits (a hammer is used).

We have a “0,0 ruler” on our WAZER, it was got by cutting a piece of aluminum sheet, it’s for re(positioning).

The following photo shows when E is done, good enough.

And we move forward to letter G.

This is when letter G is done. Exciting!

For some reasons, G is not cut through, I guess it’s because the flow rate is not high enough and/or it’s about the the piercing. But anyway, I got a good enough base to work with consider this is the first time I try this idea.

Aluminum is soft enough so I fixed the shape quickly with a hacksaw, a file and a cutter.

And let there be light!

It’s so beautiful!

(A geeky Silver or other metal necklace is possible with this cutting method)

10 Likes

That’s such a great idea!

Using the material blank as fixture is surely something I did not expect. Kudos !

1 Like

what a wild idea and cutting hack to get it to work! Really cool!

This is amazing, unbelievable

Wow, such a cool idea and great execution! I wonder what other 3-letter combinations would work??

wow amazing. now that’s thinking outside the box Great Job… :+1: